Ponder this:

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday

We have a starling caught in the woodstove. It arrived via chimney last evening. Husband can see the bird, but can't get at it, and has had run-ins with starlings before . . . he has gone to see if he can buy a butterfly net to catch it. We've caught many a bird without special tools, but if he's interested in investing, it won't be money wasted. 
Someday he can use it on me, perhaps.

On my way to the store this morning I passed a Canada goose couple. They've set up housekeeping at a swampy, creeky spot that seems to be all their own. I have seen them several times over the last few weeks, usually standing close together, whispering sweet nothings to each other. The lady seems always to hold her face downward coquettishly while the gander stands with his chin up and chest out, looking very manly. As I passed them on my return trip, he showed me his open bill. My window was not open but I imagine he was hissing at me, showing off, protecting his lady love.

I've seen half a dozen male red-winged blackbirds in pursuit of the dull-colored females. Such aerobatics! Oh, to be pursued, or ever to have been pursued, with such ardor!

A male bluebird greeted me one morning a week ago as I reached for my first cup of coffee. He perched on top of the shepherd's crook at the corner of the patio, all bright and blinding blue. Bluebird blue is such a clear, clear color.

And someone told me recently . . . someone who knows these things . . . that there are no blue birds. That all the birds we see as blue are black or gray or some mixture and it is just the way our eyes see the light reflected that makes them appear blue. I find that simultaneously interesting and obvious. Everything is only the color we see it because of the way the light reflects from it, after all.

12 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Although we are a couple of miles from the neares lake a couple of mallards have taken residence nearby and feed along our yard. A lovely mystery. If they are nesting, sadly it is under a hawk rookery.

Terra said...

I am a bird lover too, and envy you your male bluebird and its beautiful color; I hope he finds a mate.
The Canada geese pair sounds charming.
We have two bird feeders and lots of purple finches and house finches, and a bird bath.

DJan said...

I've got a variety of birds at my feeders, but no blue birds. Maybe I'm not looking at it right. :-)

Carolynn Anctil said...

Such a beautiful tribute to our feathered friends. Hope the starling rescue went well.

threecollie said...

Love to hear about your birds. Their return in spring is such a delightful reawakening, like fresh new gifts doled out with both hands

esbboston said...

When dark blue is far away under the right conditions, it appears black. But I agree with you, bluebirds are blue, and the opposite of the original line, black up close doesn't look blue.

georgia little pea said...

Is that true? About the bird colour I mean? Sounds like the colour of lakes and rivers :)

First you mention being caught in a butterfly net, then there's the whole ardor bit. What gives, June? Hope you're having a good weekend. With a real blue sky x

June said...

Oh, Georgia's Typist, not to worry.
I've always been a little toward one or the other end of some "sanity spectrum," and as for the ardor...
I'm old: ardor is the last gleaming rays of the setting sun on my horizon.

The starling eventually flew out the firebox door into, not a net, but a plastic bag that Husband had carefully taped to the exterior of the stove. S/he was immediately freed and swore as s/he flew away. Starlings are generally unwelcomed birds, but they are pretty . . . all iridescent colors . . . up close.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'm glad that the starling escaped with a bit of help .
S/he is probably writing a strongly worded letter of complaint right now about the lack of suitable signposting in your firebox .

June said...

Oh man, S&S, if you only knew how much you sound like somebody I used to work with!!!!!
"...a strongly worded letter..."
ROFL

Vicki Lane said...

Perception of color is such an interesting subject -- I am always surprised that some folks see as green, things I would call blue -- and vice versa. love colors that are on the edge of becoming other colors.

Hildred said...

I have seen the geese, sweet with love and courtship, - there are always a few down at Ginty's pond, along with lots of red winged blackbirds, but you have to go into the hills to see the bluebirds, and I can't believe they are really black and it's all a trick of our eyesight. What colour would blackbirds be then???????