Ponder this:

Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Me" by Katharine Hepburn

Floridagirl said she was disappointed with it.
I was too. I kept reading and reading and waiting for some revelation of . . . something. The most touching part was, I think, the last chapter wherein KH wrote about Spencer Tracy dying. It was touching, but not exactly revelatory.
I might have enjoyed it more if I'd read it while it was new, while KH was still alive, while I still revered her. There is no question that the writing is her voice, her cadence, her style.
The fault is mine for waiting so long to read it.


I don't read many celebrity autobiographies. They always seem to wilt into a listing of what famous people were where when. In my squirrel-like gathering of used books I picked up Beverly and now I'm afraid to read it.
Beverly: An Autobiography

9 comments:

DJan said...

I haven't read the KH bio, I read Jane Fonda's a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. But I don't read many of them, either.

Grandmother Mary said...

I would think that Beverly would be a good one. Let us know.

Linda Myers said...

I loved Katharine Hepburn, including what I saw as her enormous ego.

Don't read much biography, though, so I'll probably pass on this one.

Sally Wessely said...

I haven't read the Hepburn biography. I loved her. Interesting that you really didn't enjoy the book.

I read Beverly quite some time back. I found it interesting, but nothing in stands out at this time.

Barb said...

I've always admired Beverly Sills - don't tell me if she did something terrible!

Rubye Jack said...

I don't read celebrity books. I guess I'm too afraid of being disappointed and also, I want to keep the image I have at present. I love biography but not celebrities.

Friko said...

K.H. was such a great actress, perhaps she couldn't write as well. Or chose the wrong ghost writer.

Beverley who?

June said...

Friko, Beverly Sills. Opera.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Sills

Old Jules said...

I can see how you'd choose to read it. I don't care much for celebrities and their biographies, autobiographies either, but Kate Hepburn was one of those shining lights of 20th Century film. A few were worthy of being called exceptions proving the rule. Nice post. Thanks. Old Jules