Ponder this:

Monday, December 19, 2011

Ah, Monday. Yet again.

Pay day. That's good, although the thrill is lessened by knowing that the funds were transferred on Friday. Pay day is no longer the Christmas morning that it used to be when I got cash in an envelope. I should just shut up about that and be happy I get a paycheck, shouldn't I?


Weather's supposed to be good today. Right now, it is 24 degrees, and feels like 15. Every time I think of the "feels like" temperature I think of L from Florida scoffing that "If it's _______ degrees, it's  _______  degrees. Never mind what it FEELS like." Easy to say when you live in Florida where the temperature is currently 52 and will top out today in the 70s. How well I remember her shuddering and shivering, wrapped in her coat and an afghan on a balmy October evening when we sat outdoors enjoying an unseasonably warm temperature for the northern hills. "Feels like" ought to get a little more respect from someone who's experienced such an evening. 
Every year the same discussion: She wouldn't be able to stand the northern winter and I wouldn't be able to stand the humidity of a Florida summer. We have finally agreed on that and no longer speak of it.


This evening I will have the pleasure of returning to the office to take notes at a meeting between some volunteer board members and a few representatives of the world's largest chain of hamburger fast food restaurants. The proposal is to raze and rebuild. This is the second meeting of the parties. The first was long and labored. Our civic volunteers' comments bordered on the rude: late in the evening the man in the suit who wanted to invest in the community thanked the chairman for a single smile.
I can hardly wait to experience a second parley.

18 comments:

rachel said...

Your working life is never dull, is it?

June said...

Rachel: God, no. Would that it would be.

DJan said...

I don't ever remember getting my paycheck in cash. I rarely even use cash any more, except for little things that I could do without. Well, maybe I couldn't do without my latte, now that I think of it.

Good luck in that meeting. I keep forgetting that some of my friends still go to work every day. :-)

June said...

DJan, my cash envelope days were in my teens when I slung food from a steam table at a cafeteria.
And there is a five-letter word that I would fling at you right now if I knew you just slightly better. "...keep forgetting that some . . . still go to work every day" indeed.

Bluebethley said...

June, I sympathize with your meeting tonight. At least if you go to a meeting at "work", people are more motivated to step up and get the job done! Well, there are barriers there too, but the volunteer world . . . argh! Those meetings filled with storm and drang. Enjoy. Grist for the blog.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

i hate going out again once i'm at home .... sign of old age , i feel .
still , given the tension in the room , you're unlikely to nod off in the middle .
the world's largest hamburger chain , eh ? will they be providing the refreshments , too , do you think ? or would that be seen as bribery ?

Rubye Jack said...

When it comes to the weather, it is really all relative.

Have fun with the meeting tonight! :)

Friko said...

Just as well for them that you are taking notes, and don't have a speaking part.

As for 'feels like', have you heard of 'wind chill'?
That's our temperature gauge here. When you're exposed to it, you're dead, when you're out of it, you're fine.

VioletSky said...

The weather office tries to use the term 'feels like' instead of 'wind chill' (in winter) and 'humidex'( in summer) but it hasn't caught on. I think even the calculations were different with the new term. Either way, I still don't really get it.
I still get paid by cash and I really, really like that. I have one job where the money goes directly into my account and it feels as if I have worked for no pay because I don't get that cheque (but then my bank account does suddenly swell a little)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi June, Just stopping by to say Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Love,
Betsy

June said...

I think the forecasters changed "wind chill" to "feels like" in an effort to dumb down the concept enough for the general American public to get it.
At the last meeting I had a sighing part, apparently. I was unaware of it but it seems that I was sighing gustily in annoyance throughout the meeting. I plan to tape my lips together tonight.

Vicki Lane said...

An evening meeting after a day of work? Cruel and unusual, I say! No wonder you sighed.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

beware ! if , in an attempt not to sigh , you tape your lips shut you'll end up snorting instead .

Lord Wellbourne said...

It's always balmy here no matter what it is or feels like!

Sally Wessely said...

I wonder when that idea of forecasting the "feels like" temperature began. Sometimes, it is just TMI. I know it is cold, I don't need to know what it feels like.

We have been paid once a month for so long, I don't know if I could handle a paycheck weekly. I would blow it for sure and not be able to make it last like I have learned to do with my monthly deposits.

#1Nana said...

I remember getting paid in cash at my first job when I was a teenager. I worked at Woolworth's. Now the money just shows up in my account...it seems to leave my account just as easily!

schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Sometimes it is fun to be the "fly on the wall." Aren't you glad you don't let your BP overwork??

As for climate differences, I am with you. I hate the humidity in Florida where I lived for three years, with no AC and pregnant with my third child for one of them. Give me cold anytime.

Dianne

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Sounds interesting though. You could be taking notes on on weather cycles in Florida and the north. You've already figured that out.

My mom and I would argue - the cold of Green Bay Wisconsin winter vs the heat of a Central Texas summer. We never arrived at a satisfied middle ground.

Stay awake and Merry Christmas.