Ponder this:

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

John Chancellor Makes Me Cry

In addition to avoiding celebrity bios, I'm really not much into non-fiction in general: so much of what I have sampled has been dry and completely without artistic imagery. But I have enjoyed every Anne Rivers Siddons book I've ever read . . . which is to say, all of them except her newest, Burnt Mountain, so I tried her very first published book (of essays), John Chancellor Makes Me Cry. And loved it. I laughed out loud and found phrases and descriptions worthy of underlining on nearly every page. I liked that in a couple of the essays, ARS revealed some pretty disagreeable aspects of her own personality; it isn't everybody who'd do that.


I seem to be in Book Review mode lately, so this is my recommendation for today:
I believe it's out of print, so a used book store or eBay, or, of course, the library, is the way to get it.

10 comments:

DJan said...

Well, dang! A good book and no way to get it except to go browsing in a bookstore. Okay, if you insist... :-)

P.S. I love bookstores!

Barb said...

You're on an absolute reading rampage! Actually, I DO like essays and other nonfiction.

esbboston said...

I just checked Amazon and it appeared to be available there - plus they have the " look inside " feature for this book.

Rubye Jack said...

Well, that's interesting. I see her books all the time. It seems. In the Goodwill, but thought she was one of those flaky romance writers. I will check her out. I need to be reading more if I want to write, but it seems I've been too wired to sit still for long with all my decision making and choices and things coming and going.

Retired English Teacher said...

I will put it on my list to look for. It sounds quite interesting.

Cloudia said...

out of print is best!




Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Mac n' Janet said...

I like her too and was looking forward to her new one, guess I'll have to proceed cautiously.

Bibi said...

I just ordered it at Amazon for $7.00 inc shipping !

Grandmother said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm an Anne Rivers Siddons fan.

Olga said...

I have read this book and agree it is worth looking for.