Ponder this:

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Thank God I didn't choose to do an afghan!

Last summer (or perhaps even last spring) I saw a pattern for a pretty little scarf, to be worked in pale blue/periwinkle mohair yarn with sequins. 
A perfect color for coworker Phyllis' eyes.
Tiny yarn with tiny sequins. 
On size 7 needles. 
Only thirty stitches per row, and follow the pattern until your skein runs out. 
How hard could that be? one would ask.

Well.
Yesterday I started it. The size 7 needles I chose were pale gray. As the daylight grew dim, the pale blue/periwinkle stitches grew more and more indistinct on the pale gray needles, until I could hardly see, by the light of two lamps, where to K2tog and where to YO. Before I went to bed, I looked to see if I had any better-colored size 7 needles. I had the magnifying glass out and was standing directly underneath the lamp, and my poor tired eyes could not see the sizes embossed on the ends of the blasted needles. It was clear that the pale gray size 7 ones would not do, no matter what, anyway, so I ripped it all (the one inch I'd managed) out and determined to start fresh this morning.
By feel, I chose a pair of emerald green needles before I went to bed. I figured they were size 8 or so. 
So be it.
This morning I could see that the pattern was working out to be a little larger than it was yesterday. That made sense. Except that, in the daylight, I could now see that the green needles are size 6, not 8 . . . so why would the work be larger instead of smaller? Go figure.

The big news is that I can actually see the stitches against the needles; there is a fine level of contrast. It's coming along swimmingly.

None of it matters anyway: it's a scarf and needs not fit any part of the body.
I still wish I'd started it two weeks ago, though.

13 comments:

DJan said...

It's amazing to realize the difference needles make in a pattern. But I'm also puzzled at how come it would be bigger on smaller needles. Awfully pretty, though. :-)

June said...

DJan, after some cogitation, I think it has to do with the texture of the needles. The gray needles are plastic and a little bit grabbier than the metal green size 6 needles. Since the stitches are slipping along the needles so nicely, it's working out more loosely, and thus, larger.

Terra said...

Your project is turning out to be very pretty. I don't know about needles and yarn, but the result is attractive. Merry Christmas.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful color! I'm impressed by knitting as I've never learned.

Carolynn Anctil said...

That's beautiful! I LOVE periwinkle and the pattern is so feminine. Your co-worker is one lucky woman.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

When did you say you want to have it finished? I've been working on one for 2 years..... mmm, you've inspired me to drag it out, but wait - first I have to find it - and then - no, it's too hot here for knitting or such wintry type crafty pursuits. -sigh-
You're doing better than me, I'm restricted to daylight only. :)

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Hahah, no not my Christmas lights - I'm too mean to pay the extra power bill the company here charges outrageous tariffs for! Anyway I'm not creative enough!! I can't even get the solar light thingies in the driveway to work reliably. :)

Olga said...

Famous last words: How hard can that be?

Anonymous said...

Gee...I have a whole jar full of knitting needles watching me balefully as I type (the circular needles can't see me since they are in a closed container). Perhaps I shall get out the needles in 2015. It's been several months since I've YO'd.

Contrast between needle and yarn is important in our twilight years.
Cop Car

rachel said...

It's always sort of comforting to me when I hear of 'real' knitters encountering problems, as I am so hopeless at knitting, which I would love to do well! I look forward to seeing the finished product - it sounds lovely.

June said...

Rachel, I should have taken a photo of the FINALLY finished product before I gleefully ran off to the office with it in a Christmas gift bag.
It came out looking just about the way it was supposed to, so long as nobody checks very closely...
There were several places where the pattern of eyelets went awry . . . but the yarn itself is so pretty that nobody really LOOKS. Worth the price!

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GOSTOPSITE33 said...

Decent blog and totally exceptional. You can improve however despite
everything I say this perfect.Keep striving generally advantageous.
섯다