Ponder this:

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Crystalline

Yesterday, showered, shampooed and Shalimar'd, I sneakered up and took the kids for a walk in the glorious, glorious sunshine.  

















Down the driveway we went, 
following the footprints of a crow who had preceded us.















Frost feathered sticks that poked through the snow,

 fletched driveway reflectors into archery targets...

and toothbrushes.



And changed the brush that last week was so dismal,  into delicate scepters of sparkling silver.



A breeze too faint for my face to feel set the oak leaves rocking like cradled babies.

The weeds that had been in the sun a little longer had dropped their icy flakes into 
dime- and nickel-sized plates for fairies of snow,



and in some places, entire banquet settings for winter celebrations...




Blue sky and sparkles everywhere!






Beautiful, beautiful!  

11 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Exquisite photos and pairing with well-written text. A delight to read this post to start my Sunday. Thank you.

Wanda..... said...

Beautiful scenes and thoughts June...it's raining here this morning, but we're to get more beautifying snow in a few days.

Lord Wellbourne said...

"A person can live three days without water but not one without poetry."--Oscar Wilde

Thank you, June, for my daily ration.

Bibi said...

A lovely, poetic blog entry, and I loved how you positioned the stunning photographs

How many of us would look up at dead oak leaves and see cradled babies?

Kathryn said...

Beautiful, beautiful pics.

I kind of envy your amount of snow, however. We are going to spend a couple of days digging out.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Wow. That's gorgeous and I love the transformations you saw. Beautiful descriptions.

Thank you for the generous comment you left over at my place this morning.

Blessings,
Carolynn

Barb said...

The blue sky and glittery photos set my heart singing this morning, June. I like to think of the leaves blowing like "cradled babies." By the way - I can't believe you Shalimar'd just to walk the dogs! (That was my perfume of choice in college - now I long to smell it again. Maybe on my next trip to the Mall, I'll find some and spray it on one of those little cards.)

Autumn Mist said...

Beautifully written, and photographed, but it makes me relieved that ours has gone!

Susan said...

I love the precision of the heringbone design of your footsteps. One must always be prepared to meet someone, so I understand the necessary grooming before the walk. Lovely photos.

June said...

Thanks, all!
It's a pity that I'm not a good enough photographer and don't have good enough equipment to catch all the light that was sparkling off everything! Dazzling. Photographs can never capture all the light that the human eye can see, though. Or at least mine can't; Abraham Lincoln probably can do it. I'm gratified that you liked the "cradled babies" image. Each leaf swung back and forth at its own speed...a whole nursery of rocking cradles.

As for the pre-walk grooming...I needed to get myself in gear. The Shalimar I buy (cheap) on eBay...always loved it ever since my mother had a friend who gave her empty bottles to sachet underwear drawer. It's a magical, dreamy scent to me.

Von said...

Would that all could see with eyes like yours June.The world would be a better place.So agree with LW, as always about poetry or perhaps it's the Wilde man I'm agreeing with.