Ponder this:

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Folk tale? Fairytale? Little Red Hen? What?!?!

I'm trying to find an old children's story about some industrious creature (I keep thinking Little Red Hen, but I can't find a LRH story like it) making a goody cake. 
It was a written story, not one that somebody made up and told me.  All the characters were animals who wanted to put in only "goody" things, and the protagonist told them that you can't make a cake with just goodies in it....there have to be eggs and flour too. The denouement was that they all ate the cake and realized to their surprise that it was delicious and were much educated.


Google never heard of it; various fairy- and folktale listings don't show me anything like it.


Did I dream this story?
If so, I'd better write it down and peddle it!

7 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Sorry....was never read that one, nor did I read anything similar to my children. Good luck.

If you did dream it - Bravo - put it in a little book!!

Lord Wellbourne said...

Sounds like a very watered down, heavily edited, totally abridged, and completely PC'd version of Animal Farm. Or the end result of a bender in Tijuana. Put pen to paper, girl, and go for it!!

Von said...

Sounds like you dreamed it, go for the writing of it now!

Barb said...

Dear June - You are hallucinating this cake story. However, if you bake it, I'll eat it!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I'm no help. Sounds like its your book to write.

gigi said...

No, you did not dream it. It is a nursery tale, I think. At wikipedia under The Little Red Hen or at this URL - http://littleexplorers.com/stories/fairytale/littleredhen/story

June said...

Yes, gigi, that's the grinding the wheat/eating the bread story...but the goody cake was a different story. I'm still looking for it...